Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Man with the Mill





As I hinted in the last post…we bought 5 acres of land that we plan on building a home on. Jacob has already cleared the trees where the driveway and house will be going and we are almost ready to have it graded. Some of the trees that he cut down were these hugemongous cedar trees. They were such nice trees that we couldn’t bear to waste them so Jacob hired a man with a portable saw mill to come out and mill the trees. We ended up with a good big of wood that we can use to line some of our closets (especially the ones with Jacob’s smelly shoes). It was a pretty cool and fairly inexpensive process. If you take a deep breath…you might even get a whiff of the wonderful cedar smell.

And while I’m rambling…here’s a little info about our property:

It’s 5 acres of rolling/wooded land on Cayce Rd in Byhalia, MS (that’s about as southern sounding as it gets).
It has a pond.
Our neighbor, Mr. Lee (a little Korean man) has 200+ acres with all sorts of animals…cows, sheep, horses, etc.
It’s a 30 minute drive to Jacob’s work.
It’s a 15 minute drive to my new job.
There are some REALLY old oak trees that line the entrance to the property and are just BEAUTIFUL.
Byhalia’s violent crime rate is .08% compared to Memphis’ 2%.
The mayor of Byhalia’s name is Scooter (thought that would make you laugh).

I hope to get some good pictures of it one day and I’ll post them on here. Enjoy the wood pictures for now.

3 comments:

Yankee Doodle said...

I can smell them all the way in PA! I love the smell of Cedar. We stayed in a cedar cabin when we went to Seattle. It was so awesome smelling it all night long.

The Parks said...

Oooh, that is some beautiful wood! Congratulations on your new land...sounds like a great place for Dakota. I would love to hear more about your new job. Congratulations on that, too :)

Carie said...

"Scooter", that's awesome!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...