Thursday, August 21, 2014

Ice Bucket Challenge

Confession:  I didn't want to participate in the ice bucket challenge.  I tend to shy away from trendy social media games, videos, memes, etc.  Every time a friend posted a video I said a little thank you that I wasn't nominated...and then I was.  By my aunt.  So I have another confession:  I didn't even know what ALS was this morning.  Yes, I had heard of it and quite honestly I thought it was a type of cancer.  People always say, "you know, Lou Gherig's disease??"  Um, I don't know anything about him either except for he had a disease.  Oh, and I knew he played baseball.  Or was it hockey.  Or was he the diver that hit his head?  I'm not trying to be funny, I'm just trying to show how naive and/or ignorant I can be when something doesn't directly affect me.  I've never personally known anybody with ALS so I really have had no reason to investigate further.

Since I was challenged to participate I thought it would be in my best interest to do a little research about the disease and whether or not donating was beneficial.  First up - this disease is nasty and I'm sorry that I even shrugged it off.  I pray that I never have any friends or family members with it because I'm not sure I could stand watching it (and that's coming from somebody who at 14 watched her mom die of cancer).  Second up - it appears this little "game" is beneficial.  According to the ALSA website, as of today they have received $41.8 million dollars compared to the $2.1 million they received last year this time.  Hopefully the researchers will be good stewards of this money but that's on their conscience, not mine.  So in a week of lots of bad stuff going on in the world, I'm happy to participate in something that is actually positive.

excuse the hole in my shorts.  oops :)


In honor of my father-in-law's 59th birthday, I nominate him.  Happy Birthday!  :)  Dakota nominates her brother, her cousin Stetson and her buddy Sutton.  Corban nominates Oliver.

$10 to play - $100 to pass:  www.alsa.org for your donation

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Can't wait to see y'all's video! You are smart to research. This does seem to be a wretched disease from everything I've seen/read. So sad

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...