Thursday, September 02, 2010

Adventure: Corban's First Camping Trip

This particular post should have been made months ago but since it took place during our period without internet it never got blogged.  It was an important trip so I don't want to forget it.

Those of you who have followed us for some time know that Dakota was just an itty bitty little thing when we took her on her first camping trip.  Less than 8 weeks to be exact.  Unfortunately for Corban, he was born in the fall so we had to wait until it warmed up enough to get him in a tent.  Jacob was anxiously awaiting the day that he could take his boy out to the woods for the first time.  He even bought a family tent for us since we have outgrown our little 2-man.  We decided to go to Albert Pike Recreation Area for our second annual Memorial Day Weekend camping trip.  It was really a great trip and Corban was a natural in the great outdoors.  Remember last years?  I can't believe how much Dakota has changed!

Some things I want to remember about this trip:

1)  Dakota's first Geocache.  This is something Jacob and I used to do a lot of when we lived in South Carolina and it's even how he proposed to me.  It was such a fun experience to watch Dakota find her first "treasure" and pick out her prize.

2)  Always filter your water!  Sounds obvious enough right?  Jacob and I are experienced backpackers and always use caution when it comes to our drinking water...except for this one time.  We had planned on staying at a campground with potable water so we didn't pack our filter.  Since it was Memorial Day Weekend and the campground was first come, first serve we were not able to get a site.  We ended up hiking a few miles down the river and found a site.  We knew it was stupid to drink unfiltered water but we said, "It will probably be fine."  Famous last words right??  When we got home Monday evening I was so achy and tired.  I kept saying, "Man, I sure am getting old for this sleeping on the ground business."  It sort of became a joke.  Tuesday I was so lethargic and would have to rest between every chore I did.  That evening I played in our church softball game but by the time I got home I was miserable.  I had a 102 temp.  By 10:30 it was 104.  It stayed that way all night.  I have never had a fever like that in my life and it was awful.  The next morning I had no energy and told Jacob he needed to stay home because there was no way I could take care of the kids.  He did and I went to a doctor to see what was up.  They tested it all...blood, urine, poop, snot.  Nothing came back that day except for me being dehydrated.  I continued to battle this for the next few days.  On Friday I got the call with the rest of my test results:  Campylobacter.  It was terrible and I would highly recommend that you not get it.  So filter your water...no matter how clean it looks.  Oh, and a PRAISE is that God protected the babies and Jacob from this yukkiness.  I'm just not sure their little bodies could have handled it.  I know God kept it away from them.

3)  I'm sure some of you heard about the terrible floods in Arkansas in early June.  The very place we laid our heads was wiped away exactly a week after we were there.  The river we camped along rose suddenly 20' in the middle of the night while people were sleeping in their tents.  The death toll was almost 20 people, the youngest being 2 years old and 60+ people had to be rescued.  I struggled with this news knowing that it could have easily been us had we gone a week later.  Thank you Jesus for continuous protection for my family and for reminding me that you still have work for me to do on this Earth.  Thank you for giving me more time with my husband and children.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...