Thursday, August 03, 2006

An Amateur Photographer's Dissertation

Submitted by Jacob

After subccumbing our Cyber-shot® DSC-W50 Digital Camera to copious amounts of water, which significantly prohibited its further functionality, we bit the bullet and opted for the more than capable Pentax *ist DL DSLR. I very well may have possibly done more research (for starters) before purchasing this camera than I did for my entire graduate Master's Thesis, which is funny since I think it nothing to spend ridiculous amounts of monies on airfare travel, but tossed and turned over spending it on something more tangible. I guess it's just something about having a long-lasting possession that pushes me to think about it more.

The *ist DL is perhaps the most economical DSLR currently on the market, is marketed towards amateur photographers, and comes amazingly equipped with, among other things, a Pentax-DA Zoom 18-55mm F3.5- F5.6 AL lens. As a future investment, I will probably also go with another zoom lens, and am looking at the very affordable Pentax 80-200mm f/4.7-5.6 AF Zoom Lens, since it is on clearance right now due to newer versions coming out in the fall. It is amazing how many accessories you have to buy when purchasing a DSLR. A camera that is priced at $500 really costs upwards of $800-$1000 when you add all the other crap you need. I decided to give the local photography establishment my business (I didn't say it was a cottage industry), as opposed to purchasing the camera online for much more inexpensively, for a barrage of reasons, but most importantly the cost offset of risking the online purchase was too high for me, even though I support capitalism 100%; this is America folks; if you don't like Wal-mart, move to Europe. It was a very soft-sell, as I had already decided the camera I wanted by shopping around extensively. One hour later I was shooting pictures at the Shelby Farms dog park. I knew somewhat what I was doing, both due to my aforementioned ridiculously thorough research and from discussing photography at grand length with one of my friends during several backpacking outings, but I learned, and continue to learn, mostly from trial and error. Isn't digital great? I spent nearly 2 hrs at the park playing with the camera and the other dogs, and spent another 2 hrs upon my return home playing with photography software. I was very pleased with the photographs I took from taking the camera straight out of the box.




That's our dog Siler in the first photograph by the way; Trish wanted to make sure everyone knew that. Following him are Mia (Jack Russel) and Samson (Great Dane puppy). When compared to my other photographs with the point-and-shoot, a noticeable difference is realized. It's only been several days, but I just can't keep from taking pictures. Yesterday I tried my hand at some still life, Back-Eyed Susans in our front yard.

Despite the desparate need for a tripod (possible near future purchase), I faired relatively well using the simple handheld technique, and the noticeable blurriness is expected in the above pictures. I also attempted some indoor action photography, but was not very successful. Most photographs were fluorescent yellow and blurry.

I was not too upset though, since I knew from the get-go that this camera lags a little behind the more pricey competition in the low-light action photography arena. Since I will be mainly using it for outdoor landscape photography, however, I decided the trade-off in price was well worth it. Working with it to optimize my indoor settings will help though. Heck, I haven't even read the manual yet, thus exponentially decreasing my capability of producing quality results; but, I've been too excited to sit down and concentrate on that very important step. Quite the opposite case of low-light will be my typical experience; my outing today to Butler and Tom Lee Parks solidified my desparate need for a a UV haze remover and circular polarizer lens (don't worry Trish, I didn't pay that much), both of which have been ordered and are in the mail. I also ordered a UV lens multi-coated protector for lens protection. With our track record, we will need it.

As you can see, the images would be much better had the haziness been removed and the overexposure been avoided. Darker, more vibrant blue skies providing a backdrop to sharper bridge suspension or flags, for example, are desired. Not to mention the Pyramid is glowing; that thing is like a giant mirror. It probably blinds pilots.

As a side note, let me just add that it sure is hot in July and August in Memphis. If it were not for my new found obsession, taking those photographs during my lunch break today would have been miserable. I seem to dread 2 months of the year here in Memphis; from my many past outdoor experiences, I have really grown accustomed to enjoying all types of weather, but when you sweat just because you walked to your car after work, you know it's hot. 105 in the shade is not fun. I think Al Gore is right (did I just say that?).

Anyways, back on track, I have really enjoyed my new toy and look forward to lowering its learning curve to achieve quality photography. Until next time, happy hiking (or whatever it is you do).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...